Friona History

The town of Friona, so named from the Frio Draw that runs south of town, was established in 1906.  It was originally a shipping point for the Capital Syndicate who named it Frio, but when a post office was granted in 1907, its name was changed to Friona.

The George G. Wright Land Co. had taken options on area lands and initiated a colonization project: they promised the prospective buyers fertile land and a healthful climate.  In spite of the earlier drawbacks of prairie fires and drought, the coming of windmills and irrigation wells in Friona and surrounding area has fulfilled the dreams of a fertile land and healthy climate.

Parmer County, which borders New Mexico on its western side, was created in 1876 from Bexar District and organized in 1907.   It is named for Martin Parmer, a signer of Texas Declaration of Independence.

It has not been much over a century since the Panhandle area was home mainly to the Indians and the New Mexican sheepherders.  In 1875, the last great war chief of the Commanches surrendered the western part of the Panhandle that became the famous XIT ranch, which led eventually to the emigration of people to develop the land.

Friona has led in developing the area to its best potential.  There have been many changes since 1906 but the tradition of providing the best in education, culture, churches, recreation, farming, ranching, business and any other opportunity of improving the lives of its inhabitants has never changed.

16 pdc-2.jpg

Parmer county pioneer heritage museum

The museum, housed in Friona's first church and oldest building, features items significant to local pioneer history. The museum is on the Quanah Parker Trail, which indicates a connection to the famous Chief, the Comanche or other Plains Indians. The museum is located at 218 W. 6th Street. Please call (806)250-5212 to plan your visit.

Friona santa fe depot

The depot was moved from beside the tracks to be the centerpiece of the Friona City Park. It was moved and restored in 1985. The structure appears to have had few modifications during its' years along the Santa Fe Railroad. The depot is open periodically during community events.